At a Town Council meeting in May of 1938 a Township Ordinance was adopted which created the first full-time paid police department in Florence Township. The newly formed Police Department consisted of three sworn Law Enforcement Officers. Prior to the Creation of the full-time police department an all volunteer police force that operated out of Griffin Pipe on West Front Street protected and served the residents of this community.
George “Skip” Griffith became the first Chief of the Florence Township Police Department after being appointed to the position on May 25th 1938. Chief Griffith served as a member of the Florence Township Police Department for eighteen years, and signed off radio for the last time on October 19th, 1938. Chief Griffith was succeeded by Chief August “Auggie” Glass who also became Florence’s first motorcycle officer in 1941.
On April 15th, 1965 the town mourned the loss of Patrolman Walter Kotch who was killed in the line of duty while escorting a funeral procession on Route 130 and Cedar Lane. Read more on Officer Kotch: http://www.odmp.org/officer/7700-patrolman-walter-j-kotch
The department is currently under the leadership of Chief Brian Boldizar who leads twenty-nine full-time sworn Law Enforcement Officers and three Class II Special Officers.
The Florence Township Police Department has had many homes since 1938, to include the old fire house on West Third Street, the Florence Hotel on Front and Broad Streets (which burned down in 1980), and its current location at 711 Broad Street.
Motorcycle Officer – circa 1940