The Florence Township Police Department Records Bureau assists residents with the application, processing, and registration of firearms. For questions, please call (609) 499-3131.
- The New Jersey State Police Firearms Investigation Unit utilizes the statewide Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS). The FARS system allows firearms applications to be created and submitted online using the following website: https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars.
- All Firearm Identification Cards (E-FID) and Handgun Permits (E-Permits) will be issued electronically via E-mail by the NJ Portal FARS System once approved by the Florence Township Police Department. Applicants will have the ability to print, save, and/or screenshot their E-FID card. Licensed firearms dealers and shooting ranges will be able to accept the previous FID cards or the new E-FID cards to include screenshots. Previously issued FID cards will not expire and will be considered valid. *Please remember to come into the Florence Township Police Department to pay applicable fees for your E-FID Card and/or Handgun Permit(s) (E-Permits).
The online application is APPLICANT DRIVEN. If the applicant makes a mistake while applying, they simply can REAPPLY. The applicant should understand that all application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. The applicant MUST utilize the correct ORI number (NJ0031500) for the Florence Township Police Department.
Step 1: To apply online, visit the following website: https://www.njportal.com/ NJSP/fars. When you log on, you must enter the Florence Township Police Department’s ORI #: NJ0031500. Applicants using this ORI # MUST live in Florence Township. If an incorrect ORI number is entered on the form, you will not receive a firearms ID card or a permit to purchase. You will have to apply using the correct ORI and pay for the process again. A refund cannot be issued.
Step 2: The applicant MUST enter their “Official Name”. They cannot utilize simplified versions of their names (Example: Joe vs. Joseph). Make sure that the information you enter on your application is the same on your fingerprint information when making the appointment. If an application is submitted with incorrect information, the application must be re-submitted, no exceptions. All initial applicants are required to upload a clear photograph without wearing a hat or sunglasses. Photographs must be passport style – 2 inch x 2 inch with a light background. This photograph will appear on your ID card. Applications submitted with a photograph that does not meet the requirements may need to be withdrawn. Please note that there are no refunds for withdrawn applications.
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Make note of your FARS Contributor’s Case Number for use later. Be sure to check all relevant boxes for the items you are applying for. When deciding how many permits you would like to get, remember the following:
- ONE permit is required for each handgun you wish to purchase (each permit is $25.00).
- You can purchase one (1) handgun in a 30-day period.
- Permits are good for up to 180 days (with auto-renewal after 90 days).
- If you decide you want another handgun permit and you didn’t get more than one initially, you will need to apply again.
When completing the application you will need the email addresses of two (2) reputable references. Your references may be family members if you wish. If an error is made on the reference’s email, you can call the Records Office at FTPD and they can edit it.
Step 4: Schedule an appointment with IdentoGo to be fingerprinted. Go to the website https://uenroll.identogo.com/ and enter the NJ Firearms Licensing service code “2F164B“. After entering your essential information, enter the ORI# for Florence Twp. “NJ0031500“. On the next page, enter the FARS Contributor’s Case Number that your received when completing the online application. If you have to reapply for a firearms application, remember to cancel your IndentoGo appointment and reschedule after your complete your new firearms application with your new contributor’s case number. We are unable to move fingerprints to new applications.
Step 5: The applicant will be contacted by the Florence Township Police Department upon the completion of processing the application. The applicant will be provided instructions for payment at that time.
Firearms Fee Schedule
- We do not accept credit cards or personal checks. Please bring exact change or Certified Check or Money Order. Fees are non-refundable.
- Applications for Firearms Identification Card (E-FID) (STS-033): Cash (exact change) or Certified Check/Money Order payable to the “Florence Township Police Department” in the amount of $50.00.
- Applications to Purchase a Handgun (E-Permit) (STS-033): Cash (exact change) or Certified Check/Money Order payable to the “Florence Township Police Department” in the amount of $25.00 per handgun permit.
- Application for a Duplicate Firearms Identification Card/Replacement for a lost or stolen card (STS-033): There is NO fee.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the online process. Please do not call for status updates.
- You will have 90 days to be fingerprinted for your initial E-FID card through IdentoGO. Should you not meet this time frame, your application will be withdrawn and you will have to reapply.
- If an INITIAL applicant applied for an FID card and forgot to apply for handgun purchase permits, the applicant must re-apply for the handgun purchase permits AFTER their initial application is processed and approved.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation. If an error is made on the reference’s email, you can call the Records Bureau at FTPD and they can edit it.
- The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone number and email addresses for yourself and your references.
- After the applicant enters all required information, a review page appears where the applicant can edit all information entered into the application prior to final submission.
- The applicant should also print both the confirmation page and application at the end of the process. This is for quick reference in the event of an issue.
- Reminder, you will receive your E-FID Card and Handgun Permits (E-Permits) via email from the NJ Portal FARS System once your application is approved.
- For additional firearms regulations and procedural information please visit the New Jersey State Police website.
Project ChildSafe is a program of the National Shooting Sports Foundation to promote firearms safety and education. Project ChildSafe has provided more than 38 million gun locks through local law enforcement.
Gun locks are available at Florence Township Police headquarters at no cost from Project ChildSafe.
Please visit www.projectchildsafe.com for tips on responsible gun safety and storage to reduce accidents, theft and misuse.